The Portager is a fast-growing media company currently covering Portage County, Ohio. We serve nearly 6,000 subscribers (including about 600 paying subscribers) and over 160,000 residents in our coverage area. We are the only locally owned news source covering the entire county with the express mission of helping our community thrive.
To power our ability to provide more high-quality journalism to every corner of our community, we are seeking a director of growth and sales to professionalize our business development operation and establish The Portager as an unshakable public service institution in Portage County.
If you have experience working in sales, marketing, development, communications or business, this is an opportunity to be part of a company that literally changes lives and enriches our democracy. We offer a flexible working environment and the possibility to gain equity in the company. The Portager is an inclusive workplace.
- Home based to start, but we’re aiming to open an office in Kent or Ravenna by fall 2022. We hope having an office will help our team feel supported by a community and not isolated at home.
Compensation and perks
- $700/week, paid weekly
- 10% of attributed sales volume, paid in monthly bonuses
- December performance bonus (minimum $500)
- $0.06/mile gas subsidy
- Work when you want as long as you’re meeting objectives
- Office supplies and tech stipend (need based)
- Enrichment stipend (up to $150/month untaxable for things like gym membership, books, continuing education, second language instruction, travel, etc.)
- 24 days paid vacation per year
- Unlimited sick days, no questions asked
- 16 weeks maternity leave or eight weeks partner leave
- Portager merch
- Gain equity in The Portager after two years with the company
Note: This is a contract position that does not offer healthcare coverage or retirement benefits. You will be provided a 1099, and The Portager will not take out taxes.
- Learn what businesses and charities in Portage County need to grow. Then create products and offerings that meet those needs.
- Increase advertising sales by engaging with businesses, building a network of partners and communicating the value of being in The Portager.
- Establish partnerships with local organizations to sponsor and promote their events in exchange for awareness opportunities.
- Plan and execute promotional activities, particularly setting up and staffing booths at community events (so some weekend work will be required).
- Manage invoicing and coordinate with clients to produce designs and copy.
- Identify marketing and outreach opportunities to increase our subscriber base.
Competencies and experience
- Demonstrated record or strong potential to deliver the above objectives (your cover note should demonstrate this)
- Experience in sales, marketing, development, communications, business or related fields
- Strong communication skills in person and by phone and email
- Organized and meticulous, but flexible and able to find solutions when things don’t go just as expected
- Interested in everything, eager to learn and happy to go the extra mile to help someone have a good day
- Proficient in modern apps. Some of our tech stack includes Slack, Stripe, Paypal, Google Docs and Drive, WordPress, Memberful, Trello, Zoom and Calendly.
- First, submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Don’t overthink the cover letter. Just let us know who you are and why you’d be great at this job. This is a great time to ask any questions you have about the role. Feel free to email or text publisher Ben Wolford at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-249-1338.
- Within two weeks, we’ll let you know if you’ve been shortlisted for the position.
- Once we have a strong shortlist of candidates, we’ll send invitations for a conversation with Ben via a video Zoom call.
- As a final step, you will have the opportunity to meet with one or more members of the Portager board of advisers.
- One week after all interviews are concluded, we will let everyone know our decision. Ben will make the decision, with input from the board.
Ben Wolford is the editor and publisher of The Portager.