The firefighters at Marc’s today were checking a faulty HVAC unit

Photo by Eileen Mohr

Kent firefighters responded to a noon Valentine’s Day call at the Marc’s plaza on South Water Street.

Store management had noticed an unusual odor, which firefighters determined was a malfunctioning rooftop HVAC unit.

The grocery store was evacuated for about a half hour as Marc’s HVAC company arrived to deal with the broken unit.

No other stores in the plaza were evacuated, and none of the stores suffered any damage, said Kent Fire Lt. Craig Peeps, who was one of the firefighters who responded to the call.

+ posts

Wendy DiAlesandro is a former Record Publishing Co. reporter and contributing writer for The Portager.